Thursday, July 23, 2015

Savings Secrets....2 ingredient potpourri to keep or gift....

 
I regularly see bunches of roses marked down at the supermarket to next to nothing, and I used to think 'who'd buy those...they'll be dead tomorrow!'. Well now I know who....me...and you...because this is the most gorgeous way to use them.
 
They don't have to have a scent either, because they mainly make your potpourri look pretty, so choose colours you love. The more vibrant the better because they will fade over time.
 
Strip them of their leaves, tie some kitchen string or ribbon around them, and hang them upside down somewhere for a couple of weeks until they're crisp and bone dry. You end up with these lavish looking multi coloured dried rosebuds, or petals, depending on what you purchased.
 
This was clearly a bunch of roses featuring a variety of colours, and I just adore the combination of the fiery orange, delicate mauve, deep burgundy and pastel cream and pink.

 
You see lots of complicated recipes for Potpourri on the net and in crafting books, but I've always found that a simple combination of dried lavender and dried roses or rose petals, gently tossed together, with a little essential oil to freshen it occasionally,  is all you really need.

 
Displayed in a little vintage sugar bowl or sweet dish,  or with a gauzy lace tie and a pretty card, it's a sweet gift for next to nix...

 
....it's also very pretty scooped into organza bags for gifting or tying on doorknobs or looping over coathangers.
 
What's not to like?
 
...Mimi...
 

11 comments:

  1. Thankyou for sharing Mimi. I'll give your recipe a go when I dry some lavender.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy it's such a pretty thing, I think you'll love it. Especially when you've used your own lavender! Mimi xxx

      Delete
  2. Well, how pretty is that, Mimi? I would love to have roses growing here but my hubby doesn't like them at all unfortunately. The State Rose Garden is not far from here so I can drool over the roses there. I haven't made potpourri for ages. It must be time to give it another go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nanna, no roses growing here either, although I've tried. Mine are drastically reduced ones from the supermarket, as I use them mainly for appearance. I add rose geranium oil for scent when it needs a freshen up. Love, Mimi xxx

      Delete
  3. Simply beautiful, is what I have to say about it! Great idea, Mimi dear.

    Hugs from Guam,
    Kelley~

    ReplyDelete
  4. I always use my dried roses in potpourri too, and add some rose oil and they smell
    delightful................

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fantastic idea Mimi. I have never thought to buy reduced flowers for making potpourri. I know I will be from now on, such a lovely gift idea too.

    xTania

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mimi, thank you so much for a beautiful idea!! Love the simplicity!! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've just found your blog and have been reading some of the previous posts. The dried roses remind me of when I had been given roses and as their time was spent, dried them and then dipped them in melted paraffin wax. The muted colors were still visible and they have lasted for years. There's something even more romantic about them, now. Ranee from MN USA

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this idea, thank you. Visiting from Ivy and Elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi! What a simple lovely idea. I will have to do better at drying my rose petals and my little bit of lavender. You make it sound so simple without a bunch of other stuff to buy. Nancy

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! I always respond to comments, so don't be shy! Mimi xxx